Saturday, December 20, 2008

Is Black the New Green?

I've noticed something new this year while doing my holiday shopping. I'm wondering if it's a sign of the times or just because retailers are constantly looking for something new and different - but I must ask - what's up with all the black ornaments and decorations?

In Wal*Mart the other day, I noticed sets of all black Christmas ornaments [I looked for a picture but I couldn't find any to post to the blog]. Not that they didn't look rather cool, but I've never seen all black ornaments before.

Today in A&P I noticed Christmas wrapping paper with a black background. Now I've done purple Christmas wrap, blue and silver, etc, but never black. It didn't look bad - candy canes and Ho Ho Hos on a black background, but nevertheless - what happened to traditional green?

Today in the mail I got a Christmas card from a friend - silver snowflakes on a black background. Again the card looks cool. It's not ugly or depressing or anything, but again, it reinforces the theme. Now I've got the idea of a silver Christmas tree decorated with all black ornaments. Would that be cool or just weird?

Since pink is the new black [or so I've heard] and now black seems to be the new green - will next year's Christmas theme color be pink, I wonder?

3 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I think next year I'm going to do a black and white tree with gold accents. And maybe some leopard print. LOL

Anonymous said...

I rec'd a black card also.

I hope you're wrong about the pink thing for next year. "Have a Pepto-Bismol Christmas, it's the pinkest of the year..."

Two Voices Publishing said...

Kristen, I think if done right, it would be really classy or very Goth - depending...hmmm.

I've actually seen pink Christmas trees and one catalog I saw offered purple, blue and teal ones. Considering all the eating that goes on, maybe Pepto might be a good theme for the holidays...LOL