Sunday, February 08, 2009

This week on: Bargain Hunters!

Originally I wasn't going to blog today - I've been working on an 'every other day/ odd day' schedule that's been working pretty well, but I just had to post about today's big bargain...well one of them.

My friend K and I went to the Dollar Store - can't go wrong there, and lo and behold she came across a bin of trellis yarn.
It's a very thin ribbon-like yarn that makes nice shawls and scarves. Normally it sells for [I kid you not!] $6.99 a skein. At a dollar a skein, you can't go wrong, so I bought six!

I had bought one skein a while back just to try it out in the blue ice color and made a really cute scarf using my Knifty Knitter. The scarf goes with my blue sweater - this time I bought the dark jewel colors [shown in the picture] and a lighter rainbow color and some super thin black and silver color. Here's a picture of the scarf I made:




It comes out very stretchy and mesh-like. It's a bit scratchy so it's not anything you wear for warmth, but it sparkles so it's a nice accessory.

I'm going to try for some thinner, longer ones that maybe DD can use as belts with her jeans.

And no, I didn't do any of that WIP work I was going to do today. But in my defense I DID think about writing on the way home from food shopping. Know what that got me? Thoughts about another WIP to work on. I'm going to go clear my head with some knifty knitting.

8 comments:

Kate Willoughby said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. That is a HUGE bargain!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Right! I was so shocked. I've been haunting yarn sales for months - and now I know I should be haunting the dollar stores!

Kristen Painter said...

Thanks for giving me the urge to go to the Dollar Store. LOL What an awesome buy! I really, really want to knit right now.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Considering I'll buy just about anything for a buck, I'm a menace in the Dollar Store. I never go with less than $20 on me.

Shelley Munro said...

That is a bargain. Yarn of any description is really expensive here in NZ.

Anonymous said...

I'm off to look up what a Knifty Knitter is...

Two Voices Publishing said...

Kifty Knitters rock. I've been making stuff with them all winter. They're perfect for people like me who have no skill with knitting needles.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I meant KNifty - with an N.