Monday, April 20, 2009

And from the 'You've got to be kidding me' file...


Apparently, there are a lot more people with too much time on their hands than I first suspected.
I came across THIS article today about a growing movement to ban the use of the Comic Sans font from everyday use.
The font, which I can't recreate here without a lot of switching back and forth to check styles, was created to mimic the typeface used in comic books. It's a casual font, which it seems, many people acutally find offensive when it's used for things that are not casual in nature.
As someone who believes the world would be a better place if we all just walked around in our jammies, I have to express my dismay. While I might look askance at a college acceptance letter written in word bubbles [or the font most commonly used in word bubbles] it would still be an acceptance. The crippling pain of a rejection letter might be softened a bit by a big, flowing, unpretentious font, and you can bet I wouldn't bat an eye if the million dollar check for my lottery winnings was written in any kind of type at all. [I'd even accept crayon as long as the check was good!].
So tell me, how do you feel about Comic Sans? Do you find it breezy, fun and happy or just plain ridiculous?
Being a contrary person by nature, I think I might like to spearhead the movement to keep Comic Sans alive and well, maybe have it declared the national font, or the official font of the Olympics. More so, I think I'd like to spearhead the movement to encourage people to get over themselves and not worry so much about fonts.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I saw that article too. It's good to know there are people a lot crazier than me...
(although I would sign a petition in any font requested if it means those stupid Volkswagon commercials with Brooke Shields never see the light of day again)

Kristen Painter said...

Yanno, I just never thought about it that much.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I would sign a petition to end all internet petitions. And one to ban all brooke Shields commercials as well. But then I draw the line.

:)