Monday, October 24, 2005

The Rat Race

It seems like everyone is super busy these days. No one has any free time anymore. People work as many hours as they can, they cart their kids from after school activity to after school activity, dinners are pushed back to right before bed time and weekends are jam packed with chores and other obligations.

That's a lifestyle I'm trying desperately to avoid, but it seems to be the norm, especially here in the Metropolitan area. I just spent 90-minutes at soccer practice listening to other moms talking about doing homework and dinner simultaneously in order to get to practice on time, about never having the time to cook a meal so they always eat out [hmm, that actually doesn't sounds so bad], couples who never see each other during the week due to conflicting work schedules.

One of the many reasons I've always wanted to be a writer is because I hoped it would allow me to have a more relaxed lifestyle. I didn't want to spend my evening on the train commuting home from a 9to5 job and find myself scrubbing the bathroom at midnight because there was no other time to do it.

I always pictured an unhurried life, where there's time to bake cookies, and decorate for Halloween, make Christmas crafts and enjoy the sunset [and still make a cartload of cash once in a while.] You can't have it all. I learned that as everyone else does, the hard way.

But if I had to choose between having it all, and having enough - I'd take just enough so that there would be some time left over to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I've been scurring around the past few days. LOL. Have open house tomorrow to be temp again at Amazon.com... and here I am up at 1:41. I think I'll ask for day shift even if they pay more for night shift. Maybe that will leave more time for writing. Remember last year how it slowed me down? I was always running around like a rat in a maze last year during the holidays.

Angela's Designs said...

How is Northern Lights? I'll have to read it. I still have NCP's latest Alaskan book unread on my hard drive. Not so much that I live a rat race all the time but because I don't read enough lately.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Holidays are getting more hectic all the time. There never seems to be enough time to do everything.

Northern Lights is a great read. I'm almost finished. It makes you want to visit Alaska - Nora definitely did her research. It's a mystery too, so there's lots of plot and it's told mostly from the hero's POV which I love.