Friday, May 04, 2007

Kickin' Back

Yesterday I actually took the day off [from writing.] It was damn near impossible to do.

I finished Uncross My Heart and gave it to my non-writer best friend to read. I don't do this because I want unconditional praise or a big old pat on the back. I do it because she's an avid reader who can pinpoint the problems in my plot with laser effeciency. She probably should have been an editor or an agent to be honest. And she reads fast.

By 8:30 a.m. I was wondering how I was going to fill my day if I didn't do any "work." Don't get me wrong, it's not like my house is immaculate, or all my chores are done. I had plenty to do - but it was supposed to be a day off. When my husband takes a day off, he sits on the couch and watches movies. He relaxes.

I. Can't. Do. That.

I've tried. I've played a few hours worth of Marble Madness this week on the Wii and it was fun, but to spend a whole day not writing, promo'ing, editing or procrastinating when I should be writing [yes, I consider that part of the job too] just doesn't seem normal. I feel guilty if I'm not busting my butt to get a story done.

Ultimately I got through the day. I went shopping [cures just about anything] and I surfed the web [that may count as work because I visited all my usual sites and did Thursday Thirteen, and I cleaned off the patio furniture and made dinner and watched TV - and while I was doing that, I was sketching out a quick synopsis of my next novella.

Okay, so I guess I failed to take the day off completely.

SIGH. I'll just have to do better next time.

No comments: