Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Gift of Gab…or Wow, I can Blog

Last month I had the privilege of having dinner with two published authors during the NRJW Conference. Liddy Midnight, Jenna Peterson and I had a wonderful time discussing lots of things writer related and the subject of blogs came up.

Blogging is one of those double edged swords for writers. Most writers I know have them now and update them frequently. It’s a great tool to exercise the writing muscles every day even when the WIP is stalled, your characters are gaping like guppies because they have no coherent dialogue and they’re floating around in blank space because you’re at a loss as to how to describe their surroundings. What’s the solution? Blog about it.

My greatest concern before starting a blog was that I would have nothing interesting to say. I didn’t want a blog that detailed the joys of walking the dog or polishing the silverware [neither of which I actually do, btw]. I wanted a blog that said something interesting and that helped me stretch my writing skills a little bit. Having to come up with a pertinent paragraph or two every day is actually therapeutic more than it’s distracting. That was another concern. Would I spend all day thinking about my blog entry and ignore my WIP? With a mild sigh of relief, I can say no. I’ve so far managed to handle both and find that blogging is forcing me to think analytically about my chosen profession, and with any luck at all, make others think about it as well.

So I’ve answered that age old question, To Blog or Not to Blog and I think I’ve made the right choice. Now back to my WIP…

2 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I kind of like reading about walking the dog! I'm kidding. I also wasn't able to think of anything I wanted to put up on my blog yesterday though.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Maybe one day I'll write about the dog's escapades. He's recovering from his week at the doggie spa now.

You could blog about your adventures at Amazon. I bet as it gets closer to the holidays you'll have some wild stuff to talk about. LOL.