Saturday, November 12, 2005

The view from my desk



This is my bulletin board. It was the best $20 I ever spent in connection with my writing space simply because it reminds me every day, and every time I sit down at my desk, that I’m a writer.

Here’s a quick tour: The blue bordered oval on top center contains my inspirational motto. The bumper sticker to the left of it says “Republicans for Voldemort” – a gift from my DH. [Not to fire up a political debate, but no, I’m not a republican and I certainly wouldn’t vote for Voldemort if I was.] I have some coupons tacked up, because I’d forget to use them if I didn’t keep them in sight, and some more inspirational quotes from other writers in the bottom right. That thing with the curly antennae is a lady bug that my daughter made for me out of wax strings. The big white list at the top right, is my Release Calendar. It’s nice to look up every day and see the titles of my books. I’m hoping that list will one day be too long to hang from my board. Then I’ll give it its own wall somewhere.

Amid all the other notes and reminders of deadlines etc, is a copy of the NCP Best Seller List at Fictionwise from October 17, 2005 wherein Hunter’s Moon was listed at #1! Talk about inspiration. Seeing something I wrote on a best seller list is incentive enough to keep at it, but seeing it at #1 is just indescribable. [Currently, Hunter’s Moon hovers at #2 and can also be found on the overall best selling e-book list at Fictionwise at #15]. Was this a shameless plug? Well, sort of. It’s also a piece of advice to other writers – celebrate your accomplishments and keep them in view so you don’t forget that all the hard work does have its rewards.

4 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I like your board. I have a tiny wall in front of me and a window beside me. I wish I had a normal office. What's normal though?

Two Voices Publishing said...

The thing I'd like in my 'office' is a door. The way my house is set up, the 'den' is the former dining room which is in the middle of the house and it's the walkthrough room to get from one end to the other. It's also where the dog's couch is. I get drop-ins all the time [the kids]. The window is a distraction too. I'm nosy and I like to see who's pulling up in front of the house so I'm always stopping to peak out the window.

K.A.S. said...

That's a great idea! Love what you've done with your board.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Karen! Now if only I coulds keep the rest of the room so organized.