Saturday, January 28, 2006

Dealing with Doubts

Recently several of my fellow authors have been discussing the problems that plague writers at all stages of our development. Burn out, fear of rejection, writer’s block, professional jealousy, tight deadlines – all these things can make the writing life less than the idyllic career we dreamed of when we first set pen to paper.

The problems that affect me the most right now, are doubts about my plotlines and my method. I’m always worried that I’m wasting time with an idea when there could be a better one around the corner. I still constantly ask myself, ‘Would anyone want to read this?’ That can be crippling when it leads me to put a half-finished manuscript aside and start something new. In some cases I’ve gone on to complete the second manuscript, get it contracted and then returned and finished the interrupted story and had that one contracted as well. In other cases, that first manuscript is banished to a drawer for months or years never to be touched again. And of course I wonder, is there a hidden gem waiting in my own personal slush pile, or is the 40,000 word half finished story on my desk just a pile of rot?

I’m glad I’m not alone in my doubts and fears, but it’s a shame that so many talented writers, even multi-published, agented authors, struggle with these insecurities every day. It’s the down side of doing a job you love, where the dress code is pajamas, the hours are completely flexible and the earning potential ranges from a pittance to a fortune. I wonder if the quality of our writing would improve dramatically if some of the uncertainties of our craft disappeared? Maybe it’s the fear that keeps us sharp and striving for greater heights and maybe it’s the fear that leads some good writers to quit when the pressure becomes too much.

On that note, I’m going to get back to work on my WIP, despite my doubts. I’ll never know if I don’t finish the story.

3 comments:

Jodie said...

I know what you mean, I know it sounds bad but I hate every single one of my MSs. The process of writing it it wonderful but once I get it done I wonder if it could be done better, if I should tweak it here or there. I love, the story and the characters but my style I question. I always think I can do better, but if I do that, I would never send out my MSs.
I know and understand your desire to be better, to strive to attain more and of course get that agent. I have yet to discover jealousy for anyone gaining an agent or a book contract but I have discovered bafflement. It's those books that you pick up and want to fling across the room and wail at the unfairness of it. *sigh*
I would say one thing for you Berandette and I have purchased quite a few of your books and you ARE VERY talented. You WILL land that agent and when you are feeling particularly low know this. I read your stuff before I even knew it was you and promptly bought more titles. Keep it up. You'll get there too I'm sure.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Laine, I have the same problem. My early chapters are usually very strong and then that tightness loosens up and that clear voice gets muddy. I see an ending and I want to reach it, which makes it a monumental task for me to write a truly novel length story. I can kick butt with a novella, but 100,000 words is torture. I keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race and everything happens in its own time.

Jodici! Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed my stories! My logical brain tells me I can attain my goals with perseverence. Too bad my illogical brain sometimes talks a lot louder. Comments like yours make my day!

Angela's Designs said...

I wish I was more productive. Sometimes that is because I'm reluctant to let go until I think something, too many drafts. Some people are so multi-published they can't have spent as much time going through drafts. Has to be a middle line somewhere and I want to reach that.