Saturday, November 03, 2007

Now I edit in my sleep

I guess I've been weilding the red pen too much lately [actually I've been using orange this week, I like to vary my colors]. Editing is starting to seep into my dreams.

Last night I dreamed I was writing a Stargate fan fic. Haven't done that in years [write fan fic, I mean]. I sort of miss it. It was fun to have ready made characters to play with - but I digress...I was writing a fan fic, and seeing the scenes in my head in my dream which is a little weird. Daydreaming in one's dream.

I remember looking down at the paragraph I had written and realizing it was all passive verbs so I started crossing out and rewriting. I actually woke up reciting lines from the story I'd been writing.

It just goes to show you, the internal editor never sleeps. Now I'm even editing my dream stories. I wonder if IE [internal editor] gets paid to work 24/7 or if she does it just because she loves it. Either way, she needs a vacation so I can get some sleep and enjoy my stories without having to edit them in my dreams.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As if you don't have enough splintered personalaties with the double author thing....now you can add an insomniac internal editor too. Lets give her a name.

Ursula?

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL! Sounds good. I will officially name my insomniac internal editor Ursula!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

*shakes head* Thank God I don't have THESE dreams. It's bad enough having the heart pounders "OMG I LOST EVERTHING!!!!" I once had a dream where all my words disappeared and I couldn't find them anywhere.

Emmy Ellis said...

Jennifer, imagine your computer crashing/dying and losing 4 novels then. This happened to me about 5 years ago. Luckily, hubby knew how to rescue them. I still haven't revised them. Hmm. I'll never forget the panic.

:o)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Ack! Those are nightmares! i wake up a lot feeling like I've forgotten something but I don't know what it is. That's bad enough.