Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Don't wanna. Don't hafta. I'm retired.

Have you ever seen that t-shirt? I'm thinking about getting me one - since as of next Tuesday, I'm officially retired from fund raising.

Yep. My last bake sale is coming up. Hallelujah!

The milestone is bittersweet, I will admit. After three years of toiling for the Winter Guard, I'm done. DD is moving on to a new school and has decided to take a break from spinning and tossing for a while. In a way, it's sad because she's so good at it, and it's an amazing sport, but in a way - well, HALLELUJAH!

I've never been a joiner, so trekking to parent meetings, showing up at school functions, handing out cup cakes and making change for ravenous middle schoolers - it's all taken its toll on me. This year in addition to the bake sales, we did tag day [begging for money], a showcase at the school and a car wash. It's been all about collecting the cash, and now the year is winding down and I'm stepping down and we're heading off to a new school and new set of challenges, and maybe even a new activity.

It really wasn't all that bad. In fact, there were times it was kind of fun, even when I complained to myself that I was tired, busy, overworked, etc. I still felt a sense of accomplishment. Now, it feels good to look at the next few months and know I don't have to schlep to the school at odd hours for meetings and I don't have to carry around a box of quarters to make change. Oddly, I still feel a bit melancholy.

I'm going to see if there's a pill for that, because good golly, miss molly, I'M RETIRED!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Congrats!

But no that the lull will soon be filled by another activity, lol

Two Voices Publishing said...

SIGH. I know. Last night I picked up an application for the Parent Organization at the new school. I'll probably be serving cupcakes at my upcoming 'coming out of retirement' party/bake sale.

Jen said...

Did I really write, "but no" when I meant, "but know" -- I'm officially fried. A cupcake would probably help that...

geesh

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL! I wasn't going to mention it. I figured you'd had a rough day anyway. ;)