Friday, December 09, 2005

A Piece of Cake

Why do some people think writing a book is easy?

I’ve wanted to be a writer pretty much my whole life. I’ve written stories since I was ten years old and I have never once thought or said or assumed that it was a piece of cake. There are times when it’s not so hard to put words on paper, and times when it’s a lot like bleeding on cue, but it’s never a snap.

I complain because lately I’ve taken some flack by non-writers for not having produced a mountain of prose in the short time I’ve been only partially employed. I ‘quit’ my day job at the end of October [though I still go into the office once or twice a week]. I can’t complain about the arrangement though it’s not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to throw all caution to the wind and become a ‘full-time writer.’

I explained to my co-workers that I would be writing full-time now, pursuing my lifelong dream and, surprisingly, they accepted that plan enthusiastically. So of course after six weeks of showing my face in the office just once in a while, they’ve been asking me how it’s going. I told the truth. I’ve got nine chapters of my WIP completed.

“Nine chapters?! That’s all!?” Someone exclaimed.

Uh. Yeah.

I wanted to say, “How many chapters do you have done on YOUR fourth novel? Eh?” But I didn’t. I made some lame mumblings about that being actually pretty good and wandered off to the copy room to stew. Like it’s easy to write nine chapters of a novel. I can’t imagine the caterwauling I’d hear if I told them how long it takes me to write a five-page synopsis. They’d never understand. I’m a writer, after all. I ditched my ‘real’ job to stay home and tickle my computer keys all day – so why don’t I have a million words or more under my belt like J.K. Rawling? How hard could it be, right?

Right. I’m off to try something easier than writing – like transforming lead into gold or squeezing blood from a stone. See ya’ later.

2 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I find the first draft on some inspired stories go really fast. But then the editing is painstakingly slow cutting the stuff I love but don't think is good enough. Writing is tough! LOL.

K.A.S. said...

I'd either have to go with the "How much have you written" line or maybe "I'm so glad you're intrested enough to ask, maybe we can get together and compare our writing".

Geesh. People. *hugs*