Monday, February 06, 2006

Cool new gadget


I just got the coolest gizmo. It’s a drawing tablet that comes with a cordless mouse and a ‘pen’ that allows you to write on the tablet and translate what you write onto the screen in Notepad or into Word.

The amazing thing is you can write in script on the pad and have it translated into TYPE on the screen. I thought this was phenomenal. You don’t even have to write perfectly neatly, it’s incredibly accurate. My DH picked it up for me at a computer show this weekend after I told him I was playing around with the Write Pad feature on my computer at work and I was wondering if there was a way that I could actually hand write something and have it be typed onto the screen.

Since I write faster than I type, and then I have spend a lot of time transcribing my handwritten work into the computer, I thought something like this would replace sliced bread as the greatest innovation of the millennium [or any millennium]. Ta da!

It takes a little bit of practice, and so far I can write faster than the tablet can translate, but it’s great for making notes and even critiquing or editing. I can use a ‘red pen’ right on the screen and print out a marked up copy on my color printer. Definitely cool. It may not replace Track Changes for a clean crit, but for a quick and dirty mark up it’s awesome.

On that note, I wrote a good twenty pages today [not using the tablet], but I’ll work up to it. Things are flowing so well with my WIP I don’t want to mess around. The next story will probably be the experimental one. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

K.A.S. said...

That looks pretty cool! Sis got me an io Digital Pen last month, and I'm already addicted to it. Works similiar to your tablet, although the pen uses an actual notepad instead of a tablet.
Yay for toys that make actual work more productive!

Angela's Designs said...

Do you have to be at your computer, or does it have memory?

Congrats on being on a roll!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hey Karen! Does your pen write with ink? The down side of this is the 'pen' has a plastic tip and you can't see what you're writing. it's like signing your name on those credit card screens at the stores.

Annalee, the pad is attached to the USB port of the computer so you can't move around with it and it has no memory of it's own. The pen and the mouse take batteries but they only work with the tablet. You can't use them as regular mice.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it golf swing online Food safety days refrigerator pharmaceutical provigil bondage comics