Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Loose Ends

I just spent a nerve wracking day going through a manuscript in edits trying to figure out how to tie up a loose end. It’s hard to believe how a single character [a nasty character whom I was happy to put to rest when the book was done] could cause me so much trouble. Of course, I created her as the villain, so I should have known she'd give me grief eventually.

It took me most of the day, but I finally decided to how to deal with her, or rather have the other characters in the book deal with her. I wrote the needed scene – 355 words – and breathed a sigh of relief. It’s hard to pick up the narrative of a story I originally wrote over a year and a half ago. Slipping back into the heads of characters I haven’t visited with in months was a real challenge.

On the up side, it got me thinking about the sequel, which had been put on a far back burner a long time ago in favor of other projects. I realized I missed these characters. I liked living with them, and I’d love to visit them again soon. Time to think about sliding them to a front burner and turning up the heat.