Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Past


I don't know why, but when I think of traditional Christmas, I think of the 1940s.

I have no doubt one of my previous lives was lived in that decade and I'm never more sure of that than at Christmas time.

I think if I could travel back in time to any era and visit for a little while, I'd want to back to the1940's. It's not the music or the clothing that attracts me, there's just something about that time that seems more homey. It's funny, because I'm a modern girl through and through, a science fiction fan and I can spout techno babble with the rest of them. History never interested me as much as speculating on the future, BUT...there's still a part of me that longs to go home to the 1940s.

Is there any era that calls to you? Any time or place you'd love to visit, just because you have an inkling you'd feel at home there?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind enquiries about my horrible cold Jennifer. It's getting better. And I love the 1940s! All those screwball comedies with Katherine Hepburn and Rosalind Russell. Sparkling dialogue and and surprisingly risque. I feel a trip to the DVD shop coming on.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about this the other day! There's a couple periods I'm thinking I was alive. Early/mid 1800's America. And medieval Europe. Not sure why, just a feeling. I'm convinced I lived before with a family and a husband, and that's why I don't mind so much not being married now, because I have this sense of 'been there done that'

Sorry, total tangent. LOL.

Happy holidays to you too!!! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Now that's funny -- the 40's is one period I wouldn't want to visit. I think it's because of all the b/w movies -- it looks colorless, LOL! And it was fasionable to smoke then, too. :P

I do have a strong affinity for late 1800's England and early 1800's Ireland, though I can't say I'd want to visit either time/place for more than a day. I'm spoiled to my 21st century creature comforts.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hi Keziah! When I took film classes in college we watched a lot of 1940s films and I really enjoyed them. They knew how to do romance then! Glad you're feeling better!

Shelli,
Medieval Europe sounds interesting. I'm pretty sure my husband had a life in that era as well, he's fascinated with knights and anything from that time period.

Robin, I'm spoiled too! I don't think I could get along with air conditioning and the Internet, but it would be nice to drop out of the rat race and visit a simpler time.

Merry Christmas, ladies!

Monique said...

That's so funny that you'd say that. I tend to be a total vintage girl too. The 40s are one of my all time favorite decades for so many reasons, though Keziah is right, the movies were incredible. They really knew how to get you all wrapped up and help you forget reality for a little while.

I love the simplicity of the time, the importance of family, and the elegance. I'm a total sucker for the elegance of it all. Women were so beautiful.

Great topic! :)

~Monique