Friday, December 22, 2006

Traditional ramblings



The other night my son had to write a few sentences on holiday traditions for homework. He considers writing anything at all to be a form of torture [probably because his mother is a novelist by trade, mind you] so this was a difficult process. My first instinct was to go with the obvious.

We put up a Christmas tree.
We open presents...
We...uh...what other traditions do we have?

I never much thought about the art of creating holiday traditions, but when I really sat down and thought about it, I realized that we do have a few we created without even really trying.

I realized, we've been celebrating Yule for about four years now. It's become a tradition that the kids embrace, since they get each get a present on December 21st.

My daughter noted that I made chocolate fudge every year-and I only make it at Christmas because if I made it whenever I wanted it I'd weigh 300 pounds.

My husband, wise guy that he is, said he knows it's Christmas when I get out the green tinted Saran wrap. [The jokes on him, I've been trying to use that stuff up for four years now. It's finally all gone!]

I know I'm not the Martha Stewart of holiday traditions, but at least my kids will remember fudge, Yule gifts and oh, yeah...green Saran wrap when they get older.

What holiday traditions do you have?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to do the solstice, but between hanukkah and christmas, the kids are bombarded with gifts as it is. Let's see...traditions. We do the Zoo Lights during Hanukkah, a Swedish Christmas Eve with the inlaws...and cinnamon rolls on christmas morning. My grandma started that one :)

Brenda (aka: Canice Brown-Porter) said...

LOL, JAC! My kids always remember the fudge I used to make when they were small, because they began calling it "everlasting fudge". And, with good reason! *blush* Up until last year, I could never make fudge. I even stopped attempting to make it, and just bought it, unless I was lucky enough that someone else made it and gave it to us. Anyway, my fudge would never harden. So, they would end up eating it with a spoon and watch it fill back in. Hence, the name "everlasting fudge". But, last year, I finally made it. The first time it worked, I thought it was a fluke. So, I made it again...and it worked! LOL I bet I made 50+ pounds of fudge last year for the holidays! I haven't bothered with it this year. But, there's still time. ;)

Have a very Merry Christmas, JAC! And, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! :)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hi Jenna! I've always said Christmas starts December 21st around here and goes on until Valentine's Day - between holidays and birthdays and family get togethers, my kids get gifts every time they turn around for two months.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hey Canice! Never-ending fudge...LOL. Nobody around here would mind eating it with a spoon. I've had a batch like that, I think I didn't use quite enough chocolate. Whenever I cook it's like a science experiment anyway. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. ;)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Jennifer!

Our traditions are the standard: lights, tree, egg nog, wine, Santa, presents, enough sweets to put a normal person in a coma. Oh, and Yule candles for the season ahead. Our family has some pretty mixed up traditions, but it works well enough. I guess the main thing is that the kids know we love 'em and that the holidays are "family time". ^_^

Two Voices Publishing said...

I haven't had egg nog in years! My grandmother used to make it. The stuff you can buy at the supermarket just isn't the same.