Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Voyages


To boldly go where no one has gone before.
That's sort of my goal as a writer. And it may sound a tad familiar, but hey, it's tough to come up with new stuff all the time no matter how hard we try.
They say there are no new plots. The way to stand out in this business is to take one of the existing plots [there's a finite number, I'm told, but I don't recall what it is at the moment] and make it unique in some way.
It sounds easy, but one of the problems with this seemingly simple strategy is that once you think something, once you write it down, once you say the words, its out there. It's floating through space where someone else can pick it up. I'm not talking about advertising your WIP synopsis on a 10,000-member loop and then wondering why someone else turns up writing a similar book. I'm talking about having an idea and whispering it to your cat, or thinking about it really loudly while you're driving to the store. It doesn't matter how closely you guard it, someone else has already thought of it.
You might think the answer to this is to give up and start over, but someone will only come along and scoop up your next idea, too. So the only thing you can do is just write it anyway.
There's nothing new under the sun, so they say. So rather than agonize over the fact that your hard won idea sounds an awful lot like the latest bestseller that you haven't even read yet, just write it.
And then make it unique. Give it your own twist, you're signature style, your special something and make it great and you're home free.
How do you do that? Well, when I figure that out, I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Robin L. Rotham said...

Truer words have never been spoken. And you've done a great job of using your own unique voice to spin those plots. :D

Anonymous said...

LOL We're on the same wavelength. I've blogged about "stealing" ideas for the past two days.

Not "how to" posts mind you...

If 100 painters painted a sunflower some of the paintings would be similar but none of them would be exactly the same.
Uniqueness can be found in perspective and brushstrokes. Hey, that sounds kind of deep! lol

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Robin!

Jennifer, I've found it's just inevitable. I bought a science fiction romance yesterday [like I need to add more to my TBR pile,] and the plot sounds so much like my Flight of the Valkyrie, accept with the hero and heroine roles reversed. I had never heard of this author before, and I doubt she's heard of me, so it's just one of those things.