Friday, August 24, 2007

A Different Kind of Hero



Romance heroes these days are pretty straightforward. They’re big and buff and usually dark and dangerous. They have penetrating gazes [and other things] and they usually walk around shirtless – at least on book covers.

Normally I’m enamored of the science fiction or paranormal hero. Jon Crighton of Farscape, David Boreanaz’s Angel and even Smallville’s Clark Kent fit the bill and often fuel my writing fantasies.

But how about a different kind of hero? Someone without the swagger and the super powers, someone whose gift is cerebral and his manner is genteel. He’s not a gun or fang-wielding crusader and he can’t fly without an airplane but he’s heroic nevertheless.

I’ve been catching up on episodes of CSI: Las Vegas lately [I’m on Season 2 – and I have a real dilemma. Do I start watching Season 8 this September or hold off until I’ve caught up on the five intervening seasons??] and I find myself fascinated by the lead character.

William Peterson’s Gil Grissom has me enchanted. He’s smart, wryly funny and usually plays the calm in the middle of a storm surrounding his team’s murder investigations. He doesn’t do much hand to hand combat, or scooping up women and carrying them off to safety, but he’s just cool enough to be mysterious and completely intriguing.

Any CSI fans here? If not, who’s your ‘different kind of hero?’


Pictures are from the following sites:

http://billypetersen.com/TheGallery/index.php

http://home.att.net/~jo.an/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I watched CSI hit or miss for a few years, and finally started from season one on Netflix this spring. I think that we have decided to wait for CSI 8 to come out on dvd next year, rather than watch in weekly. #1-We like the continuity. Though each episode is standalone, there is a lot of character development and twists throughout each season. #2-Nothing beats no commercials. #3-When there is a cliffhanger, we can watch the next episode immediately, even if it means staying up past bedtime.

The bad thing is, you have to watch for spoilers (they are everywhere) and you have to wait a year. What we have done, is start on new series. We are now waiting for the next seasons of "Lost", "Bones", and "CSI-7". I just ordered CSI NY to tide us over.

I would wait...we can commiserate together if you want.

Angela's Designs said...

Not really a fan, but only because I never have the time to watch. The few times I've watched it I thought it was great.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hey Gwen! I know, the spoilers are going to KILL me!! Maybe we can form the CSI Back Episodes Support Group to keep each other sane until we can rent episode 1 of season 8! LOL.

I like to think I can handle it - I never would have become a Stargate fan if I hadn't read three seasons worth of spoilers on line before I started watching Season 1. Maybe if I just take a little peak at Season 8...

Jennifer McKenzie said...

OMG!!! I LOVE him.
I first fell in love with him in the movie based on "Red Dragon" (Before the latest movie) whose name escapes me.
He was AWESOME.
Then, he showed up on CSI and I LOVE him in that.
Thanks for the gallery link.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

"Manhunter" I found the name. LOL.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Ooh, I'll have to check out that movie!