Friday, November 05, 2010

MiniNaNoVaCay

That about sums up my weekend. I get a mini-vacation while DH and the kids tackle a gaming marathon at UberCon. I spent the week trying to decide if I wanted to go for a Spa Mini Vacation - where I take long walks, bubble baths, paint my toenails and sit with my feet up watching sappy movies, or if I wanted to do a Mini NaNo.

Let me tell you it was a tough decision. Being as November is NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month and so many of my writer friends are digging into their writer caves to turn out 50,000 words in 30 days, I figured it was fitting that do some NaNo'ing of my own. Last year my Mini NaNo produced Icarus Rising which is now available from Liquid Silver Books, and also a good portion of Icarus Unbound which will be coming soon from LSB. Those books have spawned two more, which are currently on my drawing table, but as much fun as Bernadette's world of flying hotties is, I felt like I needed a change, so I cooked up a contemporary plot and decided I'd throw myself into writing for the next couple of days while I don't have to do any cooking, laundry or ferrying of kids to or from school.

I have to say, it's still a hard decision to sit down and write non-stop for any length of time. The decision not to sit around and watch TV all weekend was easy - I have a hard time doing nothing, but it's been especially difficult for me lately to concentrate on writing [notice how I'm blogging now, btw, not writing fiction]. This weekend was supposed to be an experiment to see if my brain still worked well enough to put a decent amount of words on paper. I need to get in the zone...which has been disturbingly illusive lately.

I still don't know if I'm going to accomplish any real NaNo'ing this weekend [or should that be NoWri'ing?] We'll, either way I still plan to enjoy having the house to myself while DH and the kids battle gamer funk* and try to avoid catching Con Plague**.

I'll let you know how many words I actually do produce. Wish me luck and maybe next year I'll be telling you where you can pick up a copy of this year's MiniNaNoVaCay novella.

*Gamer Funk - the aroma of unwashed gamers who hardly eat and barely shower during a convention

** Con Plague - also known as Nerd Flu - the major head cold you get about a week after returning from a Convention

No comments: