Monday, June 05, 2006

Just another day at the office

I'm back to work today - plugging away at first round edits for Hunter's Mate and really enjoying it. I got two chapters done so far and I see all the places I need to fix. In my first drafts I usually hint at subplots that don't begin to take form until edits, so now I'm figuring out what truly motivates my heroine. Turns out she has a lot more going on than just a bad day [or year] at work.

I also went out and got spiral bound copies of Flight of the Valkyrie and More Than a Fantasy made. I like having hard copies of my e-books on hand and now I have a complete set on my shelf. It's fun to take the stories out now and then and flip through them. I must confess, I've always enjoyed reading my own work. I wonder if that's normal for writers.

I hear actors say they love what they do but they hate to see the finish product, so many of them can't stand seeing themselves on screen. I admit I can relate. I'm sure if I were an actor, I'd hate watching myself on the big screen. But writing is different - it's not us we're looking at, it's our characters. I love to read my own work - Iand I suppose that's a good thing. If I'm pleasing myself with what I write, chances are I may please someone else too.

I also bought some plain file folders and I transferred some paper work for each of my published stories to these folders rather than to the file jackets I keep the unpublished works in. This makes more room in my top file cabinet drawer for works in progress and makes things look a lot neater.

So much for my work day. Now off to make dinner, but first I'm going to plant the miniature dragon garden my DH bought for my son over the weekend. DS thought it was cool, but doesn't actually want to plant the seeds because I guess that's boring, so it's become my project. Maybe the school frog can live in the dragon garden this summer - DD brought home the lottery slip to enter into the drawing to 'win' the 5th grade class frog at the end of the year. She's the lucky type so I have no doubt her name will be pulled out of the hat and I'll become a frog mommy. [Weeps] Just what I need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »