Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Is it a conspiracy?

Is it just me, or do things seem to be getting harder on line? Blogger for instance, which just had a massive overhaul, started out looking like it was easier. No more waiting for that doomsday clock to click away hoping your post made it into the system and didn't get lost in the ether. Now, one click and it's there - yada, yada.

I find that a couple things are harder. Posting pictures in my sidebar is a lot more difficult now. I don't know why, and I'm the first to admit I have a steep learning curve when it comes to computer stuff, but sheesh. I thought I had it licked and now I struggle with it.

The word recognition feature that keeps auto spam from popping up in the comments section of a post, is also harder to deal with. The code words used to be five letters or so, skewed and wiggly to make them a little hard to read. Now they're eight or more letters all jammed together and more often than not I don't get them right on the first try.

When I go to comment on someone else's blog, [or even my own] I get that dialogue box warning about unsecured items. Not once, but usually twice, it pops up asking me if I really, really, really want to see what's on the page. Why can't it just trust me the first time I click on OK?

Don't get me started on Yahoo. Used to be, posts got lost a lot or showed up days later. Now they show up - five, sometimes ten times over just to be sure no one can miss them. And all the mail from my loops shows up in my in-box marked at SPAM. I can't turn on my SPAM filter anymore because almost EVERYTHING I get would end there.

What gives? Is it me? Am I technologically handicapped in some way, or is it really that all the bells and whistles added to these programs to make them more efficient have actually made them less so?

Anybody have a theory?

8 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

It's a deliberate plot to drive authors overs the brink of insanity in the midst of grinding promotion.
Or perhaps it's a conspiracy between the website designers and Bill Gates. LOL.

"Look fellas, here's what we'll do. We'll mess with these people and then they'll HAVE to call us just so they won't have to do it! It'll work!"

Two Voices Publishing said...

That must be it. I can't even complain to my husband, the computer tech guy, because all this stuff is easy for him and thinks I'm just being cranky.

Rhian said...

that word ID thing drives me CRAZY!!! I finally disabled it on mine. Half the time you can't read it and the other half it won't accept the perfectly correct letters and makes you enter new letters over and over.

Sparky Duck said...

Its not just you! The word thingy (yea real technical) has been a pain in the arse for weeks. The pictures just take more work as opposed to being hard though, which is something.

google mail has been my only saving grace lately

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hi rhian and Sparky! Thanks for stopping by. Have you ever tried the sound option? I'm afraid to - with my luck I wouldn't be able to understand the spoken letters either, assuming it works at all.

Rhian said...

There's a sound option? Does it speak southern? I'd be scared to try it. "Ah sed 'A' not 'X' ya dang infernal contraptshun." heh.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I think if you click on the wheelchair icon you get an audio prompt. I've never actually tried it though, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

Sparky Duck said...

holy crap their is sound? unless it has a southern or Philly accent I will be screwed