Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Writing and Food


Seems an odd combination, doesn’t it?

Technically the two really have nothing in common, except that they are going to be my focuses this coming year.

Ooh, goody! More books to read and more food to eat? No, not really.

Well, hopefully more books to read. That’s my plan: to write more, to maintain better focus and to get stuff out there into submission land.

The food part is a little more tricky. A long time ago I resolved to never diet again, because let’s face it, diets don’t work. Losing 8 pounds only to gain back 10 is a waste of time and effort. I’ve done it too many times to think it will work again. Food has become my enemy because while I love to eat, I usually feel awful after I do. I eat all the wrong things.

So this year, I’ve decided to try something new. I’m not going to starve myself, or count calories or fat grams or eat fake food like fat free cheese and diet soda and processed chocolate flavored shakes.

I’m going to eat real food. Fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and lean meats. I’m going to cut out the soda and the sweetened drinks [I’m a high-fructose-corn-syrup-aholic] and I’m going to not be hungry. That’s the first key to failure. I’d starve myself on a diet and then one day, when I couldn’t take it anymore I’d crack and end up binging on something that was satisfying. Then forget it, you can’t go back to a Smart Ones frozen entrée after you’ve had a Big Mac and fries. It just doesn’t work anymore.

So, although I acknowledge that it takes more time and effort to prepare healthy food, [don’t let anyone fool you, it does take more time] I’m going to commit to it. I’m still a full-time stay-at-home author/Mom and while I have that luxury [luxury = being mostly broke all the time but who’s counting?] I’m going to devote more of my time to the food we eat around here. If I spend more time chopping veggies and peeling fruit it’s time well spent.

We’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck.
Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

Good luck! I really should make this commitment...

Happy New Year!! :)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Karen. Fingers crossed I can stick to it. I've been good for over a week now, which is a record for me. LOL.

Shelli Stevens said...

That's a great plan! I do something similar. I don't deprive myself. I just eat healthier things, less food (but if I'm hungry i eat) and be more active. I've lost 11lbs that way! And peertrainer has TOTALLY helped. Are you on the Diva group there? You should be if you aren't ;)

Anonymous said...

Good for you and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with those goals! I so agree with you on how being hungry ruins a diet. I have that same problem--when I'm too hungry, all I can think about is finding high-fat, high-calorie foods. Seems my body is trying to tell me something (like don't starve yourself!). It can be so hard to stop and eat, though, when there's so much going on and the foods you allow yourself aren't particularly appetizing.

Anonymous said...

I just stopped by to say hi and that I miss you....then I read this post and it EXACTLY what I was thinking to myself this morning. I happened to join the Peertrainer diva group Shelli was talking about--but I'm not dieting at all. I am keeping track of what I am adding to my diet: whole grains, at least 5 servings of veggies, 100 oz of water and 3 dairy. I'm figuring I'll be less likely to grab the other stuff because I'll be full--but I'm not focusing on what NOT to eat as much as what I WANT to eat.

Come join us!

Shelley Munro said...

Great idea - it's something that I do and have done for the last few years. I put the scales away and never weigh myself either. With me I have to make a point to eat a balanced diet because I'm a vegetarian and I want to stay reasonably healthy. I don't necessarily agree that it takes longer to cook balanced meals. I have a couple of recipes - a rissoto that I toss in whatever veg I have to hand. Hubby adds meat and it's a good, filling dinner that takes about fifteen minutes to cook - and pasta is always quick and healthy as long as you stay away from the cream sauces. They're my two favorite meals.

All the best with your writing. I'm looking forward to your EC release.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Shelli and Jen!

Hi booklady! Thanks for stopping by! I know exactly what you mean. This time I tried to idnetify all the things that have made me fail previous diets. Being hungry was top on my list, followed by getting sick of the diet type food. No more shakes! I figured if I could conquer those things, I'd be in good shape [no pun intended]. 12 days and couting.

Hey Gwen! {hugs} I think I'll check out Peertrainer later today.

Hi Shelley!
I am finding I can make healthier meals in not as much time as I thought. It's still faster to order fast food of course, so that's a challenge. I know there will be days when I'm tired and it's so easy just to send DH out for burgers rather than make something nutritious at home, but if eating right boosts my energy, maybe I won't get to that point. Fingers crossed. Now I'm searching for some more healthy recipes that the whole family will eat [big challenge!]