Monday, December 17, 2007

All in a day's work

Here's another confession:

Sometimes I prefer weekdays to weekends.

Since I work at home most of the time, I don't necessarily get a 'day off.' In fact, I don't get a day off because even though there are days when I don't write, I still work.

Take yesterday:

I rolled out of bed around 8:30 and handled the usual morning routine, feeding the pets, making breakfast, making the bed. The rest of the morning was spent preparing for son's birthday party, which, thanks to the weather, was held at our house. Icing the cupcakes I'd baked the night before, straightening up the house so a passel of 9-year-old boys could wreck it. Fortunately DH took over the festivities which centered around playing video games. This way I could get on with the real important stuff, like diving into the mound of laundry that needed to be done.

While washing enough towels to dry a small army, I balanced the checkbook and messed around some with visiting my friends on MySpace [I consider this work, btw, I really do]. Then between the pizza and cupcakes [eaten standing up of course] I finished reading Wolfsbane: Aspect of the Wolf again and took notes for the sequel I have planned for 2008. More laundry followed, then editing.

Once the party had cleared out [magnanimous husband told the boys to call their parents and ask if they could all stay an extra hour!] I made dinner, fed the pets and did more laundry. After dinner, I ordered everyone to put their clean clothes away [always a dicey proposal. DS tends to toss his clean clothes into the bottom of his closet and 24 hours later can't tell which ones are clean and which ones aren't.] Then I started on today's batch of cupcakes for the Winterguard bake sale and finished off the evening with two hours of editing while the family played a raucous game of Star Wars Lego...something or other in the other room.

At 10:30 I plopped on the couch and announced, "My work day is done."

Saber gazed balefully at me a few minutes later so I hauled my butt off the couch and let him out, then sat back down and declared, "NOW, my work day is officially done."

Who needs weekends? I get more rest between Monday and Friday.

5 comments:

Shelli Stevens said...

You know, I think I agree. Weekends everyone's around! LOL.

Anonymous said...

yeah, BUT you are a good Mom -- there's got to be some reward in that

How many Mom's would even let their kid have a party in the house nowadays, let alone make cupcakes?!

Anonymous said...

"j" is me

Two Voices Publishing said...

True, Shelli. It's a lot harder to get anything done when I've got three other bodies to work around.

LOL, J! Thanks, I try. Even though I did hide out in the basement for a while.

L.K. Campbell said...

I can sympathize with "working at home". I feel like I'm busier now than I was when I went in to an office every day.