Friday, December 21, 2007

The Art of Sleep

I had this thought as I was lying in bed this morning pretending that the alarm wasn't going to ring in three minutes. The Art of Sleep is something that it may actually take some skill to master.

Okay, you may say, what is she babbling about now?

These are the things I think of in the wee hours. Sleep doesn't often come easy for me. I toss and turn and I worry a lot which keeps me up. DH falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow. I have a hard time getting comfortable. My feet have to be warm, but not too warm. My pillows have to be propped just so. I can't sleep in long sleeves or if the room is too bright. DH can practically sleep standing up. I fall into my deepest sleep just about the time the alarm is set to ring. During the four minutes between turning off the first alarm and the time the snooze alarm goes off, I can go back into REM and have a complete dream. I always vow once I get the kids off to school, I'm going to climb back in bed and finish up that extra and much needed hour of sleep. I've done that exactly once and I've regretted it because I felt groggy and tired all day.

I've come to the conclusion that getting a really good sleep is an art form. You have to finesse it. The right atmosphere, the right attitude, the right ambiance, maybe even the right outfit.

I'd give up a lot for a really good, refreshing sleep, but I'm not quite sure how to achieve that without hitting the snooze alarm every four minutes all night long.

What do you do to get a good night's sleep? What's the best sleep you've ever had?

No comments: