Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fwd: Fwd: Fwd

Three little letters I hate to see in the subject line of my e-mail in-box.

I sigh, loud and long, when I see friends or acquaintences have taken the time to e-mail me the latest round robin chain letter or inspirational poem or--worst of all--some online petition to protest the use of on-line petitions or some news story that's suppose to make me outraged enough to write my own online petition.

I'd so much rather hear from people about REAL life. Sure, I make things up for a living. I live in the fantasy worlds of my own creation, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather get a quick note from my friend Mary Sue telling me how her garden grows or how last night's curds and weigh turned out than a chain letter that she wants me to forward to ten amazing women I know plus send back to her to show her how much I care about her as a friend.

SIGH. I don't want people to think I'm anti-social or that I don't want to talk to them. I do. Really. I'd love nothing better than to discuss any topic that comes up. The price of tomatoes, where to buy great kid's shoes, Obama vs. Clinton, my favorite color - whatever. I want to interact with people, not just hit the reply button and send back the same pre-written drivel they've just sent me to show them some form of solidarity.

I don't mind news briefs, like when DH sends me links to articles about Joss Whedon or Battlestar Galactica. I don't mind when someone sends me a pertinent cartoon joke for a chuckle or even a cute pic from LOLCats, but please, please, please - don't send me something that requires me to add my name to a list and pick ten people out of my inbox to forward to so Bill Gates can track an e-mail around the world and I can get a $100 gift certificate to Denny's. Please don't send me inspirational quotes that will bring me good luck if I send them back to you in five minutes. Send me a note that says, "Hi! How are you? What's up?" Or "Guess what?" and tell me your life story, rant, rave, wax rhapsodic, I don't care. I'll respond, but please don't ask me to hit forward.

In the immortal words of Meatloaf, "I'll do anythign for love, but I won't do that."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd think that when you don't hit reply people would either

a: think you hate them

b: are the world's worst friend

c: get the hint that you don't reply to that crap

I remember when I absolutely scandalized a friend in high school when I tore up an old-fashion (meaning it was actually handwritten, and on PAPER!!!)chain letter. Every time something went wrong (for months) she told me it was because I'd "broken the chain"

Two Voices Publishing said...

If I could send some people torn up e-mails I would.

Angela's Designs said...

LOL. I'll do anything for love, but I won't do that.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hey annalee! How are you?