Sunday, June 10, 2007

Pressure Release

Last week was a hectic week, full of uncertainty about my WIP and the usual doubts about my ability to pull off a story that has me writing in circles.

The upcoming week won't be any better. I've got new deadlines and new projects to work on and I'm still in the middle of an unstable WIP and wondering if I really know what I'm doing.

In the middle of these two weeks was a trip out of town for the high school graduation of our nephew. The packing, worrying about the logistics of traffic and losing a day of writing added to the stress, even though I always enjoy the long ride through country roads and was thrilled to see a remarkable young man reach an important milestone in his life.

Destressors are hard to come by but I managed to locate one this weekend that made me at least momentarily forget everything I had to do and had to worry about. While riding through the quaint back streets of a small Pennsylvania town, we came across a deer out for an afternoon stroll.

I made my husband slow down so I could snap a quick picture as this magnificent animal wandered across the street from one yard to the next, curious but carefull to give our CR-V a wide berth.




It's funny how the littlest things can take you out of yourself and release the pressure of life. I wish I'd gotten a closer picture, but I didn't want to scare her away.

I have a lot of things I do to try and unwind, but it's always a pleasure to have something given to you without asking. This was one of those unexpected gifts.

What do you do to unwind, and have you ever had a moment that was given to you simply so that you would stop and appreciate it?

3 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

A lot. I had the same thing happen yesterday as I was driving up to my friend's ranch. I saw a doe in the middle of the road and she stopped and stared at me before she darted up a steep embankment.
I love those moments. Thanks for sharing yours.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jen! It must be deer season. Supposedly there's even been one in my neighborhood lately, though I haven't been lucky enough to see it. I could never understand why people want to shoot them.

Anonymous said...

Great picture. Thanks for sharing your moment.
I walk at a pond and the pair of swans that patrol the waters there recently had five babies! It's been fun to watch their progress week after week. I've been wondering if one of them will mature into a black swan since he/she is so much darker than his/her siblings.