Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5


Thirteen Things I could Live without

1. Bugs – Except butterflies and ladybugs, the rest can go, thanks
2. Telemarketers – no offense to anyone who does this for a living, but egads, do companies really make any money by annoying people to death?
3. Super Models – we’re all fed up with the unrealistic body images and bitchy attitudes, aren’t we?
4. Evangelists – I wouldn’t mind them so much if they didn’t keep getting caught with prostitutes, ya’ know?
5. Reality TV – which might not be so bad if it wasn’t more fictional than fiction
6. Perfume samples in magazines – sorry, instant headache for me
7. Clothes in size 0 – 0 means nothing – hello, if you can measure the size, it’s not 0
8. Play dates – I don’t mind the concept of letting my kids play with other children, but why can’t we just call it ‘playing’ since it really isn’t ‘dating’?
9. Co-pays – what’s the point of paying your doctor $20.00 just so the insurance company can pay him $100.00 more on top of that? Why can’t the insurance company just pay all of it, then?
10. Junk mail – I wish someone would stop cutting down trees to print advertisements for things I don’t need, so I can throw them right in the recycling bin, and they can be turned into more advertisements for things I don’t need
11. Cyber-petitions – I see people trying to get signatures on internet based petitions all the time and the one thing I’ve always been told is, they’re not worth the paper they should be written on. If you want to do something for a cause, make a stand or be heard, splurge for paper and get people’s actual signatures. Someone’s name on a computerized list doesn’t mean a hill of beans to the government or anyone else
12. SPAM – in the can and my in-box. I never cared for faux meat of any kind, and let’s be honest, who’s going to read an e-mail entitled: incorporatingh better looking sluts right noW!?
13. Shoulder pads in women’s clothes – the ‘80s are OVER people, we learned that padded shoulders do not make our waists look thinner and when manufacturers make shoulder pads out of material that shrinks in the wash, they’re just defeating their own purpose


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





22 comments:

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Great list! The shoulder pads--how come they become a wadded ball in the washing machine?

Elle Fredrix said...

Brilliant.

I was nodding my head to every one of them. Especially number 2. I work from home, and my home line gets between 5 and 10 TM calls a day. Thank God for call display. I just ignore them, unless they start auto-dialing me every hour(yes every hour), then I pick up the phone and accuse them of stalking me!

Nadia said...

Ohhh....I don't like butterflies. For some strange reason I'm really afraid of them.

P. Robinson said...

I agree with most of those girl. (I used to be a telemarketer- backing away from the post) I love mail- any mail, even junk mail. Butterflies and hummingbirds are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

I agree with every single one, but I want to add "Snow in April" since it's snowing here right now.
:-(

Dayna_Hart said...

I love your list. So much so, you can have ALL my ladybugs. There's a nest or hive (read: infestation) of them somewhere in/near my house. They're too pretty to kill, and too annoying to let roam free INSIDE (please note dayna's cardinal rule #1: Outside things belong outdoors.) Hence, ladybugs fill me with conflict and some loathing.

:)

and hear hear with #7. I think they were called 0 because originally that's how many women would fit in them...

Crystal Jordan said...

YEAH! For number 7. That's exactly right. Ha!

Em said...

I'd like to get rid of butterflies, too please.

Like Angelle I'm also afraid of butterflies (and I've never met another person like that).

Shelli Stevens said...

LOL those are great. I love the playdates one! Totally true. And the size 0. And the copays. Ok they all rock :D

Jennifer McKenzie said...

I'm with you on telemarketers. Have you heard about pressing 99999999 and that cuts them off and messes them up? Don't know if it's true, but it feels good to do it. LOL.

Eva Gale said...

Play dates! I know! Could you imagine us as kids making play dates? Yark!

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Honestly, I found myself nodding in agreement with each item as I scanned the list.

Oh, and I am SO with you on the size zero thing! *grrrrr*

Sparky Duck said...

hey, what about dragonflies? I lurvve dragonflies.

I hate friday and the mailbox because all the circulars for the supermarkets that I dont read insist on showing up

Anonymous said...

LOL, great list!
I have to admit that while butterflies and ladybugs are pretty far away, once I get close enough to see those little bug bodies *shudder* -- ewww!

Heather said...

Love your list, especially 6 and 2. Nothing worse than smelling your mail before you get the mailbox open! Department store statements and ad flyers are the worst for those of us with scent allergies.

Two Voices Publishing said...

and hear hear with #7. I think they were called 0 because originally that's how many women would fit in them...

Ah! That explains it.

As for the butterflies and lady bugs, originally the post said, I'd be happy to do without them ALL, but then I felt bad for the good bugs so I changed it. But really, if everything with more than four legs disappeared, I would not be all that upset. ;)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Well, I might miss lobsters...but that's it.

Keziah Hill said...

I'm with you sister.

Denise Patrick said...

Great list! I'm with you an ALL of them. Where do I sign the petition? :~D

Emma Petersen said...

4. Evangelists – I wouldn’t mind them so much if they didn’t keep getting caught with prostitutes, ya’ know? Bhwhahahaha! Ditto. I find it kind of amusing that some of them are very judgemental yet frequent prostitutes. Isn't that like breaking a commandment or two? Great list! :D

Shari said...

I'd add wasps - the build nests all over (or under, as the case has been) my outdoor furniture and then get mad when I sit there!

Rhian said...

About a year ago i invented a new game to play with annoying telemarketers: it's called "Telemarketing Purgatory" and the object is to cycle them endlessly tieing up their time in worthless recalls. I tell them, "I'm sorry, but the Office Manager is out, please try back." Over and over. Bwwaaahahahahaha.