Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How many licks does it take...

to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll lollie pop?*

And how many revisions does it take to smack a WIP into shape?

I've gone through two full, page by page, line by line, word by word edits of Uncross and Skin. I'm exhausted and still not satisfied but I can't look at this stuff any more.

I think tomorrow I'm going to work on something new just to clear my head because I can't stand seeing stuff I've already written and rewritten and rewritten anymore.



* Three, btw. In case you were wondering. The official answer is three.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought I was the only one who remembers that commercial!

It's a frustrating process to be sure, but the end product will be well worth it. You'll probably be hit by a brilliant epiphany when you're not working on the revisions.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Oh boy, could I use a brilliant epiphany! Except for when you were here this afternoon, I felt like I was wandering around aimlessly in my own head all day.

I'm curling up with The Office Season 3 tonight and maybe a bowl of popcorn...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you have to shove it off to the side and work on something fresh. Distance yourself from it and you will be surprised how easier it can be...sometimes ;) It has worked for me in the past. I wish you luck with it and I know you will have a brilliant story in the end, as always! :)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Toni!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

ACK!! I don't know. Dayna and I have come to the conclusion that distance is the only thing that works.
But I'm impatient.
I have a tough time setting my wip aside and leaving it alone.

Shelli Stevens said...

I've so been there! Sometimes you just need to set it down for awhile. And you know I learned the trick of changing the format when doing revisions/read throughs. That can help too! Good luck!