Monday, October 15, 2007

Once More With Feeling




Under 'Things you never knew you wanted until found out you couldn't have them:'



Apparently FOX has put the smackdown on unauthorized airings of the muscial episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer entitled Once More With Feeling.

Fans have been showing the episode and apparently dressing up for a sing along a lot like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and FOX, which now owns the rights to Buffy and is not making any moola on the venture, decided to step in and crack the legal whip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for protecting the rights of artists and the actors and others who get royalties for airing these episodes do deserve to get paid, as I'm sure their contracts state, but I have to say, if I were a big hootie hoot at FOX, rather than tossing everyone else's toys off the table over this, I'd figure out how to make it work for me. If fans want to turn this episode [which is utterly fabulous, btw] into a cult classic like Rocky Horror, why not let them? Hell, why not help them?

I'd set up official screenings of the episode, charge for tickets and make it an all fired big deal. This way your fans get what they want. Just because a show is cancelled doesn't mean there still aren't people dying to watch it. Look at Star Trek. Cancellation didn't hurt Trek fandom at all, why should it hurt Buffy fandom?

I've never been to Rocky, but let me tell you, I'd go to theatrical screening of Once More... and I'd sing my heart out...

Walk throught the fi-re...to the point of no return...

Once I get that in my head, forget it. I'm a goner.

Come on, FOX, let Whedon fans have their fun. You don't want us all asking the musical question...

Where do we go from...here??


4 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

*nods* I DO NOT understand corporate practices. I've complained about this before. They seem to pass on FREE and LUCRATIVE publicity in favor of negative responses.
I've posted a couple of videos that got nixed by Sony on my blog. *shakes head*. Free pimpage and they pull the plug. FLOORED me.
But I'm sure there's some monetary reason to be so stinkery.
I agree with you though. They SHOULD help that episode become a cult classic. Executives. They're so........stuffy.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Let the fans have their fun and turn this into a cult classic. It can only do the series good.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Honestly. What us writers wouldn't give for that kind of free promo, right?

Anonymous said...

loved that episode...