Friday, June 27, 2008

And from the 'You've got to be kidding me' file...

K called me this morning with a doozy from the retail trenches and I just had to share in case anyone out there is in the market for some high end beach-goers accessories.

She was in Century 21 at the mall and happened upon a cute beach towel in a bright lime green. She said it was by far the softest, most luxurious beach towel she'd ever come across and decided it would make a nice gift for her son's girlfriend, so she picked it up.

She hadn't made it all the way to the register before she noticed the price tag said $247.00.

Figuring it had to be a misprint, she went up to ask the cashier, who said, no - that was the correct price. This was a Chanel beach towel - and it was on SALE.

No kidding - the ORIGINAL price? $700.00. That's right. Seven-HUNDRED dollars for a beach towel. Something you're going to use to rub the sand out from between your toes.

Can you imagine? Please.


I went on line to check this out and I couldn't fine a $700 lime-green Chanel beach towel, but this one seems to be a steal at $500.


Now I know what I want for Christmas. No, not a $700 beach towel. I want a friend who thinks $700 is a good price for a beach towel. Then when I hint that I'd like a Sony eReader for $300, it will seem like a bargain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The prices at Century 21 always blow my mind. (Yeah, I know, they're "bargains".)

Anonymous said...

oh my.

I mean...what the...

That is...


*shaking head* I don't think I paid that for some of my furniture, let alone a towel

Two Voices Publishing said...

It's unreal. I just don't see how a company could hold its collective head up while charging that much money for a towel. A $700 purse is one thing [though I still wouldn't pay it] or a pair of shoes, a dress, a piece of jewelry, luggage, etc, but a single freakin' towel? Seriously, these people need to live in the real world for a day.

Pamela Tyner said...

Good Lord!