Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cow puppy and other things lost in translation

I've recently noticed that my kids don't speak the same language I do.


Communication in my house has always been a tricky thing - my son has been telepathic since a very young age, and by that I mean when we ask him questions, he answers them in his head, assuming we can read his mind.


My daughter was born with a Boston accent and sometimes used French words instead of English ones when she was a toddler. [Past lives, anyone?? Seriously.]


They both speak fluent Pokemon.


I've learned over the years when it's okay just to nod and smile and when it's not. I also usually insist that they look directly at me when speaking so I can read their lips. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Tonight was one of those instances when the nod and smile wasn't good enough.


My daughter just waltzed into my office and said, "Cow puppy?"

At first I thought she was talking to the dog. But the dog didn't answer, so rather than agreeing with her, I asked, "WHAT??"


"CAN. I. PLAY. WII?" she repeated slowly, in that 'I'm speaking to an elderly, deaf foreigner' way.


"Oh. THAT's what you said?"


"Yeah."


Sheesh. "No. Sorry. I'm going to be watching Fringe in a little while and I want the TV. Cow puppy? What the heck is a cow puppy anyway?"


Apparently they do exist.



3 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

LOL

At least you kinda understand them.

Two Voices Publishing said...

It's like being in another country sometimes. I can ask where the bathroom is and order a glass of water, but beyond that I'm pretty well lost. Maybe there's a Rosetta Stone program for understanding teens and tweens?

Anonymous said...

Cow puppies are cute!