Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Holiday Crush

Where did the year go? I know it’s not actually over yet, but it’s winding down. December starts on Thursday and that leaves just 31 short days left in 2005.

I hate to see it go. Not just because I have to cram all my November projects, two manuscripts, Christmas shopping, several holiday dinners and a trip to the dentist into the year before it expires, but because 2005 has been a banner year for me and I worry that I won’t be able to top it.

This year marked my first acceptance letter (okay, December 31st 2004, but still), my first signed publishing contract (January 1st) my first contest win, (February), my first cover art (March), my first release (Hunter’s Moon in April), my first print novel (May) my first royalty check (August), my first review, my first interview, my first writer’s conference, my first best seller list and my first foray into full time writership.

How can 2006 compare? I suppose if it brought my first NY contract, my first agent, my first book signing…maybe my first advance, or my first royalty check containing a comma somewhere to the left of the decimal point? I’ll wager 2006 will bring my first rejection. I’ve been too lucky so far – I know there’s an R on the horizon, but that’s okay. I can deal. If, in 2006 I can continue to live out my dream, and shape the life I’ve always wanted, it won’t matter if it doesn’t contain as my firsts as 2005. I’ll be happy and deliriously busy with new projects.

Of course I just have to get the old ones out of the way first, in addition to all the holiday prep and falderal. There are never enough hours in the day, but this year, I can say there were certainly enough firsts.

No comments: