Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Happy Administrative Professionals Day


It worked out well that I went into the office today. We all got gorgeous roses from the Mayor and Council and I also got a lovely card from my boss. He never fails to remember Secretaries Day, which goes a long way toward keeping emplyees happy.

I've worked in places where employees were expected to feel as though their paycheck was a favor from management. I've also worked in places where I was thanked for my contributions each week. Even as a temp secretary, I was treated as though my coming in and doing whatever work was necessary was a great favor to the company. That's how employees should be treated.

Sure, good jobs are scarce. Employees are actually a financial burden to their employers beyond just their salary especially if they recieve health benefits too, but it never ceases to amaze me that so many employers still treat their workers like yesterday's trash and then whine about loyalty and committment.

If you want your employees to care about their jobs and the company, treat them well, remember the little things like Secretaries Day or remember to say thank you now and then and you'll see loyalty and committment. It always boggles my mind that so many corportate entities don't get that concept.

Anyway, I didn't want this to be a rant. To everyone out there plugging away at an office job, this one is for you.