Saturday, April 08, 2006

Strange Behavior


Ever watch a dog dream? I get a kick out of watching my dog sleep. He used to sleep curled on his back with all four paws in the air. For a while he slept with his nose buried in the cushions of the love seat. Now that his bed is on the floor, he sleeps with his body on the cushions and his head on the floor [and I know he does that just to make me feel bad for him].

No matter what position he’s in, though usually mid-afternoon during his power nap, he has a dream. I know he’s dreaming because his feet usually move as if he’s running. Sometimes he whimpers or even barks in his sleep and paws at things like maybe in his dream he’s digging a hole or something.

I usually stop working and watch for a while and just wonder what he might be doing in his furry little mind. Is he chasing a squirrel or finding a steak someone accidentally left buried in the yard? Is he running after a ball or a cat or just taking a stroll through dog heaven where everything is edible and nobody makes him wipe his feet after playing in the mud?

When he wakes up from his dream, he usually looks a little dazed like he’s temporarily forgotten where he is. He blinks a few times and looks around to get his bearings, then he usually expects a treat and a trip outside. I guess maybe he’s looking for that steak.



PS:

Don’t forget, the contest continues until April 9th and I will announce the winners on the 10th. You can respond to any current post on my blog as well as the original contest post!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »