Friday, January 12, 2007

Yes, I do still read...



Even though it takes me a while, I do manage to finish reading a book now and then. I wish I had more time to read, but the problem is, when I do I feel guilty for not writing.

KMM's Darkfever was definitely worth the guilt, though. I just finished it and I really enjoyed it. I've been a fan of KMM since the first chapter of The Immortal Highlander. I read her previous books out of order, but I loved them all anyway.

Darkfever is a change of pace that's very refreshing. It's not a traditional romance, it's the first in a series and it's dark...hence the title.

What did I love about it? That the relationship between the leads is allowed to grow, very slowly. If these two ever get together, it will be one of those BAM moments. She's set up a dark hero who begs the question, is he really one of the good guys? The hero and heroine don't jump into bed just to fill a sex scene quota, and I know KMM can deliver, so when they DO hit the sheets, it will be well worth the wait.

Two downsides: [Not counting the first person POV, which works well in this case] The cover art really has nothing to do with the story. This is one of those bait and switch covers that says: Buy This Because Doesn't It Look Really Sexy? I'm sure a more fitting cover art could have been devised.

Second down side, there is one major reality check in the book, a detail that caught me and had me going, No way does that make any sense. I won't say what it was, but if anyone else read it and knows what I'm talking about, comment on this post. The rest of the book is so good, I don't even mind the blunder, but it is definitely a blunder.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

I haven't read her. She sounds good. I wonder if she is available on E

Two Voices Publishing said...

The book is available on Fictionwise, Jodie. I love all her books, this one was a new direction for her, but it really appealed to me.

Shelli Stevens said...

I so have the same issue with reading. Only recently have I started forcing myself to read a little each day. That way I'm reading at least a book or two a month.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I know what you mean, Shelli. I usually read over breakfast, but a bowl of cereal doesn't last long enough for me to get too far. LOL.
I almost hate to call myself an 'avid reader' anymore. I want to be, but it just isn't working out.