Saturday, August 23, 2008

Closure - I has it

I admit I'm a little behind the times, but I'm working on catching up. Last night I finally saw the final episodes of Charmed, Season 8 and now I've completed the series.

I have to say, here's another series I would recommend even though Joss Whedon wasn't involved in it.

Aside from a cute concept, Charmed has the following going for it:

1. Character growth - the sisters do evolve over the course of the show which makes it worth watching to see not just their hair and clothing change, but to see them weather the emotional turmoils their charmed existence throws at them

2. Consistency - without stagnation. I at least found each episode, which was centered in the Halliwell Hollow to have a familiar anchor. The show had a calming effect [yes, I'm weird], but it was like visiting friends. Over the seasons the characters evolved, but the house was always the same and that made it comfortable without being boring

3. Closure - this is the biggie. Some people might have found it sappy, but I loved the epilogue feel of the last part of the finale. The three surviving sisters [minus Pru of course who was suspiciously absent from everything after Shannen Doherty's unceremonious exit from the show, bet she's still kicking herself] decide to add their experiences to the voluminous book of shadows and viewers get a glimpse into their happy future.

That was a bonus I think - and why I love to add epilogues to my stories, because knowing favorite characters get to live happily ever after, really happily ever after, is important. I know a lot of people complained about the end of Harry Potter's final book, but I loved that too. I crave the satisfaction of knowing all the strife characters go through is not for nothing.

Now I need another great paranormal show to get hooked on. Any suggestions?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Supernatural? I haven't seen it in a while, but I thought that in the beginning, the dynamic btwn the brothers was fantastic and the dialogue was some of the funniest I'd seen. And hey, they're not too hard on the eyes either. (I didn't stop watching because I lost interest in the show, rather, it just doesn't work for me schedule-wise.)

Two Voices Publishing said...

Actually we're on Season 1 of Supernatural. I haven't seen enough to really love it yet, but I like it.