Monday, August 18, 2008

The life of Sisyphus

Last night I went to bed contemplating the life of the mythical King Sisyphus. If you recall the early Red Bull commercials, he's the guy who had to push the rock up the hill for eternity, only to watch it roll back down.

From Wikipedia:
In Greek mythology, Sisyphus (Greek:[Σίσυφος] (help·info)) (IPA: /ˈsɪsɨfəs/), was a king punished in Tartarus by being cursed to roll a huge boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll down again, and to repeat this throughout eternity.
Today, Sisyphean can be used as an adjective meaning that an activity is unending and/or repetitive. It could also be used to refer to tasks that are pointless and unrewarding.




I felt like Sisyphus because I tend to notice periods in my life where I seem to have to work twice as hard as anyone else to get half as much. It's gets tiring.

This fit of self-pity was prompted by discovering the e-mail informing me that my next EC submission received title approval and can now be contracted went astray, and that I've been sitting around patiently waiting for information that already came to me, but was lost. After immediately getting to work on said contract, I realized I have the wrong version and need to have a new one sent to me, which could take some time. So something I was hoping to get done quickly and efficiently, now could take a while. Of course, now I have to wonder what other e-mails never reached me. I'm waiting on the answers to several other questions from people, and perhaps they got lost too, so I'm blissfully twiddling my thumbs wondering why no one has gotten back to me and maybe they have and are now wondering why I haven't gotten back to THEM.

It's no one's fault really, just the universe letting me know that things can't go my way too easily. I have to push that rock up the hill a few more times.

DH is checking the e-mail program today, though I doubt he'll find anything wrong. I get plenty of e-mails from people and very little ends up in my SPAM folder these days, which is nice. Of course, the stuff I'm waiting for never gets there either.

Ah well. I suppose I should look in the bright side. As soon as I get the proper version of the contract, I'll have another EC release, which rocks! It's one of my best stories, I think. [More about it later] ROGUE HEART will be coming out in a few weeks, I'm mailing in the contract for my historical novella today, AND yesterday I completed the draft of the proposal for my next single title.

Overall I shouldn't complain, but the frustration gets to me now and then. Off to roll my boulder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on!

;-)

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL! It seems I can do nothing else but.