Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pardon my rant...but

I grappled with ranting today - not because I don't think the subject warrants it, but because I don't want to turn my blog into a whine and cheese fest. Believe me, it would be so easy...

Nevertheless, I must complain about celebrity stupidity and sense of entitlement. I just read that actor Daniel Dae Kim became the third member of the cast of LOST to be arrested for DUI in Hawaii and I'm disgusted.

I'm not a huge fan of Kim, and I'm certainly not a huge fan of his predecessors, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros, but I am a fan of the show. It saddens me to think that so many members of the cast have so little regard, not only for state laws, but for human life.

Being internationally recognized and being paid an obscene salary to live on paradise island seems to engender a sense of irresponsibility in these celebrities. While I can almost understand the euphoria that comes with fame and fortune leading one to overindulge in alcohol, I fail to see why none of these people seem to possess the intelligence required to say to one of their friends, their family, their entourage, body guards, security staff, etc, "Could you please give me a ride home, since I've had a couple too many to drink?"

Seriously, how hard is that, people? Actors routinely whine about needing more money, dealing with the hardships of working on location, leaving their children and soon-to-ex-spouses for long periods of time while they put themselves through grueling twelve-hour work days and promotional tours and appearances. Somehow they manage to deal with these difficult situations, like having no privacy, being followed by paparrazzi and the occasional tragedy of not being recognized somewhere and actually having to be treated like a regular person. You'd think if they could handle all that, it wouldn't be so hard to hand some poor schlub the keys to their Porche and say, "You drive."

It might be the most important line of dialogue they ever deliver.

4 comments:

L.K. Campbell said...

I'm in complete agreement with you on this. My husband and I talked about this the other day. We don't understand how people who earn the money they make for working only half the year (traveling between their 2 or 3 million dollar properties and partying the remainder of the year) can end up alcoholics and/or drug addicts, because they can't take the pressures of fame. GIVE ME A BREAK!! My husband has been out-of-work since February, bill collectors are calling me 10 times a day, I just spent our last $7 on a loaf of bread and lunch meat that has to last me until I get paid next week and yet...there's not an alcoholic beverage or a Prozac anywhere in this house. I've come to the conclusion that the majority of celebrities are just a bunch of spoiled brats.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Amen, Lucinda. And with the entire country in such dire straits, it's harder to feel sympathy for the problems of the uber rich.

Believe me, there are plenty of days where I've thought, 'Now would be a nice time for a drink!' [Too bad I don't really drink, so I settle for a cream soda and a cookie]. Imagine the trouble these celebrities would be in if they had real problems.

Angela's Designs said...

I have no respect for drunk drivers. I know a man this is a multi-millionaire and word has it that he as a DUI. In his case, I already thought he was a world-class jerk because he acts like the rules don't apply to him. I didn't realize how right I was until I heard he had a DUI. There is no question that he can afford a cab. There is little question that he is a sober person most of the time. So, for him to drink and drive means that he purposefully decides that the rest of us have lives that don't matter to him. He has so little respect for the rest of us that he'd endanger out lives out on I-80 because ... he can. He probably can too. He has enough money to buy his way out of trouble. They didn't leave him in jail with all the tweakers, and let him bond himself out right away. Sad money really does get those kind of people favors.

Anonymous said...

I'll actually take your rant a step further and say that ALL drunk drivers, regardless of their celebrity status or income level, are entitled, irresponsible idiots. IMHO getting behind the wheel while intoxicated should be considered attempted murder(it's just blind luck that they don't kill anyone)and that's what the drivers should be charged with.

Uh oh...now I'M starting to rant....sorry!