Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I can't get enough

Get yer mind outta the gutter! I’m talking about dish washing liquid.

Now you’re thinking – oh no. She’s really lost it this time.

You may be right. But in losing my mind I have learned something and for that I must extend an apology to my old friend, Robin.

Years ago on an occasion I was visiting my friend at her home, she was showing me around and we ended up in her finished basement where, like many people, she had a set of shelves for keeping non-perishable supplies – you know, canned goods, paper goods – the stuff you buy when it’s cheap so you don’t have to buy it when it’s expensive. I recall to this day seeing that she had several DOZEN bottles of dish washing liquid on one of her shelves.

So I had asked her, “WTF with all the detergent? Do you like doing dishes that much?”
She laughed and explained that she couldn’t help herself. “When it’s on sale, I have to buy it.”

It was one of those images that stayed with me, and for a long time I wondered why. Then, this weekend as I was trudging downstairs to add my TWELFTH bottle of dish washing liquid to my stash, I realized why it all still seemed so fresh in my head. I’m doing it too.

Of course, how can you resist? This week, Shop Rite had Sun Light on sale for $0.99. PLUS I had a coupon for $0.25 off which they doubled – so it came out to $0.49. You can’t go wrong! Anything that only costs $0.49 these days is worth buying, even if you already have 11 of them.

Yes, I know. I could have put that $0.49 in a high-yield interest bearing account and at today’s rates I’d have...let’s see...$1.50 in 200 years. But if you calculate the average rate of dish liquid usage in my house, in only three short years I could be enjoying that bottle of Cucumber Melon scented Sun Light. Assuming I follow proper stock rotation procedures of course.

You have to weigh your options. So the point is, I’m sorry, Robin. All these years I’ve harbored the secret belief that you were a little bit nuts. Now I know the truth.

Off to wash some dishes.
dishes Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I don't think I've gone through a bottle of dish soap in three years. I never wash dishes by hand! In this house, if it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, I throw it out. lol

Two Voices Publishing said...

It's pretty much the same here - I have a very nice ice cream scoop that can't go in the dishwasher and a couple of measuring spoons. Everything else gets crammed in and put on 'pots and pans' cycle so it's REALLY clean.

My SIL once put styrofoam plates in the dishwasher. They actually didn't melt.

I suppose I could sell some of the bottles at the yearly town wide garage sale and make a buck or two for that high-yield savings account. ;)