Sunday, March 29, 2009

So what sucks you in?

I mean that in a PG way of course. I'm asking because lo around 12:30 am this morning [though it seemed like last night] I got sucked into curling on one of the sports networks.


Curling? You say. Are you serious? Why yes. It's one of those things that, for some reason, I just can't look away from.




The much maligned sport is an Olympic event which has it's origins in Medieval times. Wikipedia has this to say: The game of curling is thought to have been invented in Scotland, with the first written reference to a contest using stones on ice coming from the records of Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire, in February 1541.

Apparently it's a game of strategy which involves sliding granite stones along sheets of ice. For some reason it effects me, DH and DD like a trainwreck. If we see it, we can't stop watching.

It might not have been so bad to stay up late and watch curling, except I was awakened very damn early this morning by characters. These are the ones who have been begging for a story for years - well, they already have stories, tons of them, but the stories need to be re-written and updated and at 6:30 AM this morning, the ring leader of the gang knocked on my brain and told me he'd finally figured out how to get the ball rolling in their universe and what I need to do to tell the tale.

So I'm up - of course I can't actually start writing because I need to go food shopping and then we're going to to try to take in an early show of Monsters vs. Aliens. Then I can write. But with all these ideas swirling around in my head, I'll probably go crazy before then. I could really use a nice, quiet came of curling instead.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Those pesty characters!

Seriously, curling???

I get sucked in by that how food is made show -- not that I could tell you its name but if I'm flipping when it's late (or I'm sick -- I've watched HOURS of it when ill) I'm a goner. On the plus side, I can tell you how cranberries are harvested....

Kristen Painter said...

I LOVE CURLING! It's one of my favorite Olympic sports to watch! Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Two Voices Publishing said...

that how food is made show

You mean Unwrapped? That one gets me too. And I'll watch any episode of How It's Made - I don't care what they're making.

I can't understand the curling thing - I'm not a sports person at all [well, except for Hockey - but at least in Hockey there is gratuitous violence and occasional blood, so that makes some kind of sense.] ;)

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL, Kristen! What got you into curling? I think what fascinates me most is the people with the brooms...if I could get someone to work that hard on my kitchen floor...sigh...

Jen said...

Yes! Unwrapped!

For some reason How It's Made is not as interesting for me.

I'd watch Court TV or whatever it's now called all night, but DH HATES it

Two Voices Publishing said...

It goes without saying that I can't pass up a craft show - I can watch people quilt for hours too. And Teletubbies. Can. Not. Look. Away. from Teletubbies.

Shelley Munro said...

Bossy characters!! And at 6.30 too. Have they no respect?

I think they do curling in the South Island of NZ but it's outdoors when the lake freezes over. We don't have rinks like your photo. I'd say it's very skillful.