Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Crowded Mind

My alter ego discussed the trials and tribulations of idea flow recently at the Romance Divas blog. Sometimes it’s a floodgate and sometimes it’s just a meager trickle.

Of course, the floodgate tends to open when I have a project I SHOULD be working on. Like now. The story I pitched to Dorchester is languishing in a dark corner of my brain, brooding like the hero it’s supposed to be about. Meanwhile, other characters and plot ideas are bombarding me to the point of distraction.

As I’ve managed successfully in the past, I think the best thing to do is go with my muse. I’m a pantser – see the post below about pantsing. Forcing myself to work on one story when another is forming in my head is like trying not to breath or to think about pink elephants. It just can’t be done.

So, also as I’ve done in the past, I’m going to give myself permission to take a break from the hard ‘work’ of writing and see how far my insistent idea takes me. I’ve been known to put aside a story in the middle and write another completed story before getting back to where I left off on the first one. It’s frustrating at times, but it works. I caution you, though. Don’t try this at home. The most responsible way to write is to plot. I do believe that. Stick to your plan and work your way systematically through your story. ROTFL. It’s a lot like sticking to a diet. I can’t do that either.

No comments: