Friday, October 28, 2005

Why YA?

In a way it’s funny and in a way it’s strange. I’m a very private person which I’m finding is a disadvantage in the writing world, because you have to be willing to toot your own horn in this business and talk about your books and your achievements all the time.

That’s hard for me. I’m background. I’ve always been the silent observer, which I guess is why I like to write – but that’s a topic for another blog. Today’s topic actually is, why is it when people find out I write, they immediately assume it’s children’s books?

All right, I admit I don’t fit the stereotype of a steamy romance writer. I’m not dripping with jewels and feather boas, especially while I’m at my office…but I just find it peculiar that so many people who have recently found out about my writing career have come up to me and said, “What is it that you write? Children’s books?”

I sigh inwardly. I have nothing against children’s books or young adult books at all. I have children and I encourage them to read and I would be desperately unhappy if there were suddenly no books being written for them. But that’s not what I write. Now I don’t expect people to be clairvoyant, and I suppose I might find it equally disconcerting if they all took a gander at me said with a knowing wink, “You must write smut, right? You look like an erotic romance author.” That would definitely freak me out, but it’s still weird to have everyone’s first question be – “Do you write children’s books?” Why would they assume that? Because I’m a mother? Therefore my only interest must be in motherly, or childrenly topics? They look mildly surprised when I say, “No, actually, I write ADULT books. Steamy adult romances.”

There’s that pregnant pause, and then, “Oh…kewl.” Which of course makes it all worthwhile, but in that one quiet minute, I can almost see the wheels turning. Quiet little YOU writes WHAT? Yeah. Quiet little me. It might be ya-ya-ya, but it ain’t YA.

5 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

Hee. Hee. The one author's workshop at RWA included something like this... You write erotic romance? But, you look like a grandma? The author is someone's grandmother.

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL. Imagine what we would all look like if we looked like they thought we should look!

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Retro baseball cap Replacing tap washers How do i get free removal adware http://www.lifted-isuzu-rodeo.info/Zoloft-and-sleep-disorders.html Vicodin valium xanax celexa pharmacy Projector manager Vicodin tab vikodin online without prescription Travel soft roof rack cell phone carrier plans Collect debt National incorporate Day loan payday same advance illinois loan payday Amortization mortgage schedule Jennifer love hewitt&aposs big breasts Control parental internet efficace Inter hostel Animal vitamin and mineral supplements Levitrafree levitra trial Xanax klonopin dose equivalant 401k age limit

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info propecia success under counter toaster oven

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »