Saturday, December 17, 2005

1-888-ELF-POOP

The other day DH and I took the kids to see The Chronicles of Narnia and while we were watching those annoying video ads they show in theaters these days to keep people occupied and get their minds off the fact that they’ve just spent a car payment at the concession stand, we saw an ad for 1-888-ELF-POOP.

The ad had no explanation other than, IF YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR HOLIDAY SHOPPING.

Of course we all thought the name alone was hilarious but I had to wonder why anyone would want ELF POOP as a gift. I can think of a few people I know who deserve some type of POOP for Christmas, but I don’t know if I’d actually have the constitution to order some-even for the naughtiest people on my list.

To make a long story short, a few days later, my husband broke down and dialed the number and we had the best laugh. It turns out 1-888-ELF-POOP [toll free, by the way so don’t get nervous] is an advertisement for Virgin Mobil Phones. They went all out with a complete telephone answering service and a website at http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/ complete with some very funny songs and videos. We laughed ourselves sick over a few of these little ditties.

The reason I really like this ad isn’t because I’m a phone fan, or because I want to buy cell phones for everyone on my list this year, but because it’s so damn politically incorrect.

The Virgin Mobil people poke fun at everybody and manage to make customers curious about their products while [probably inadvertently] reminding us of two things: One, Chrismahanakwanzakah, or whatever holiday you celebrate, has become excessively commercial, but we all knew that. And two, that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously.

Of course there are people who are offended by 1-888-ELF-POOP – because there’s always somebody who can’t take a joke. If you’re not easily offended, give ELF-POOP a call. It won’t help you with your holiday shopping, unless you really do want to buy cell phones for everyone on your shopping list, but it will lighten your load a bit.

3 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

LOL! Holy guacamole my phone plays MP3's! (Well mine doesn't, I don't have Virgin Mobile.)

Rascallyone said...

Thank you so much. We had also gone to see Narnia and my son has been wondering about elf poop so tonight I googled it and got you. That website is hilarious. Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Fragrance crystals