Saturday, December 31, 2005

Un-Resolutions



The last honest-to-goodness New Year’s Resolution I made was this: I will never make another New Year’s Resolution.

It’s the only one I’ve ever stuck to.

That’s why I made it. I’d spent a number of years resolving to do things that, if I couldn’t do them throughout the year, I certainly wasn’t going to start on January 1st with any real determination. Resolving to lose weight, exercise more, save more money, be more organized – pfft. None of it ever worked. So I made my final resolution a few years ago and I’ve been quite happy ever since.

Now, instead of resolutions, I look at what I’ve accomplished in the previous year and think about what I’d like to accomplish in the coming year. It doesn’t mean I won’t make new goals as the year progresses and it’s a loose guideline. Nothing is carved in stone.

This year I was very fortunate to have finally gotten my writing career off the ground. It’s been a year of changes during which I did manage to become more organized, and made an effort to save more money. I wrote, I submitted, I became a professional author and I’m proud of that.

In 2006, my un-resolution, is to continue with the goal in mind of creating the career I’ve always wanted. In addition, I plan to continue my efforts to become more organized and to save more money and reduce that out-of-control feeling I often have when it comes to my financial status and the housework. I un-resolve to work steadily and not let my new open schedule become an excuse to goof off. I’d like to un-resolve to read more, but I doubt I’ll find the time, and I probably won’t develop any new hobbies either. I’ve got quite enough for now.

My best un-resolution is to take everything as it comes and go with the flow. The calmer I am, the better I deal with problems, so if I don’t set myself up to fail by making resolutions I can’t keep, the less likely I will be to feel stressed.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and I hope that you stick to your resolutions or un-resolutions as the case may be and attain your goals for 2006.

3 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I know what you're saying. I figured out long ago the resolution to diet didnt work for me. I make small steps, though probably not regularly enough! But, I form new habits and that is how a goal is attained. I used to cruise a parking lot looking for the closest spot. Now I don't even think about it, I just aim for the back and walk. I used to eat fast food most days for lunch. One day I decided to pack lunch and these days I find I can go months without gracing a drive-thru. Well, I'll stop in for pop more often than a burger and fries. I still need to solve the diet Pepsi cravings! LOL. It is not a diet food contrary to the name.

Happy New Year and best wishes for the next year and your writing goals!

I got one of those tags, if you want to participate, I tagged you again for the seven things one.

K.A.S. said...

What a great resolution! Err un-resolution.

Happy New Year!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Ooh, once again Annalee left me with a challenge. What will I write about?