Saturday, February 17, 2007

Testosterone on Ice




Oh well.


I don't have much of an idea about how the game works. A bunch of guys on skates brandishing long sticks chase a little black puck around until they get lucky enough to knock it into a goal. When that happens, everyone stands up and cheers [or jeers depending on whose side you're on] and then they face off and do it all over again.


In between chasing the puck, they break into fights.


It's hard to punch somebody on ice skates because they tend to drift away thanks to Newton's Third Law of Motion, so when a player wants to pop another player in the nose, he has to grab hold of his uniform to hold him still, then beat the snot out of him, sometimes even removing the other player's helmet in order to hit him harder in places that will pop open and spurt blood.

I discovered that the referees don't interfere when this happens.

It's an interesting phenomenon. A hell of a thing to watch.

I can't really explain why I enjoyed the game, but I did.

I'm wondering how I can work this experience into a story....

No comments: