Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back to Fiction

I finished Stephen King’s On Writing and found it both interesting and useful. Now it’s time to move on to something just for fun.

The first Relic Anthology was just released over at NCP and I can’t wait to get started on it. Check out the gorgeous cover art.

In other news, I’m kicking my WIP into high gear. I put my full-length novel aside while I worked on a few short stories, but now it’s time to get back to basics and finish a major work before I turn out any more small stuff. This is the year of my agent search and I need a full-length single title to shop around. I know some authors are finding agents based on partials and short stories, and that’s certainly an option, but I want to be ready with something full-scale. I’m still battling that demon fear of missing the boat. I constantly feel like I’m a day late and a dollar short. I should be out there already, but I’m just not ready. No more being content to sit back and wait for the right time.

6 comments:

K.A.S. said...

I took about 2 weeks to read "On Writing" - I read it in the car during carpool wait time ;) And I really think it helped me a lot.

The biggest thing I took away from it was more an affirmation of what I already know than anything else. There's no magic forumula, not secret handshake to becoming a writer. You just have to write.

Hope it inspired you to greatness!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Karen wrote:
The biggest thing I took away from it was more an affirmation of what I already know than anything else. There's no magic forumula, not secret handshake to becoming a writer. You just have to write.

I thought that was the best advice too, Karen. It took some of the mystery out of it. It's a tough business, but ultimately the writing is what gets you somewhere.

Angela's Designs said...

I've been reading a chapter or two a day of On Writing. I'm almost done. Something I read this morning cracked me up, his bit about you can't please all of the readers all of the time, or even some of the readers all of the time, but you really should try to please some of them... then he said he thinks Shakespeare wrote it. That is a almost quote, I didn't go back and find it in his book and type it.

Actually... I'm reading the other Relic stories too. When we were working on that book I never got to read the other lady's stories. Looking forward to that. I hope you enjoy and thanks for posting cover.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I'm halfway through Ellen Ashe's story now. I figured I'd print out one story at a time to read in between. I wonder if we can exchange stories with Marie Morin - I'd like to read her Eternity story. I venture her cover will be the Immortal Lovers cover-yours is the sexiest but hers is the most striking of the three covers I think.

Angela's Designs said...

I really like the color of Eterity's cover. It is very lovely. I'd seen it before, of course. I've read some of Marie Morin's work but that isn't one of them. Looking forward to that chance.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! http://www.aboutlipitor4.info/hepatitis-c-lipitor.html Psylium cholesterol chrysler Ast supplements Shelves wooden handmade Topamax mood disorder Web+based+conferencing+services scrabble gameurl indextarget 4eye eyewear How tobet aggressively at hold em Scrabble print outs game boards Digital image printing company Provigil purchase