Monday, January 23, 2006

Evolution

Over the last two days I’ve been rereading some old stories that I wrote years ago. My DH has been asking me to update them and maybe add to them a little bit. These were stories about characters I had grown to love and these stories fed my need to write when I had little time to devote to my craft.

It’s interesting to see how much I’ve grown as a writer in the decade or so since I wrote these stories. Apparently all I knew then was passive verbs and long winding sentences that showed off my vocabulary skills. I hadn’t learned the beauty of the short simple sentence. I loved adverbs and everything was, was, was!

It’s a fun exercise to edit these works and apply my new skills. Someday I’d still love to completely adapt them and make them publishable, but that day is a long time coming. Right now I’m content with an audience of one, but it’s definitely worthwhile to look back and see how far I’ve come.

6 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

I was reading an 8 year old story. Parts of it can be worked on. It's kind of fun to do. Yeah, I saw growth.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I wish I still had some of the stories I wrote back when I was 10. It would probably kill me to read them now.

K.A.S. said...

I was re-reading something I wrote about a year ago, and playing with cleaning it up. Sometimes it feels good just to polish something that was done before, making it better.

Angela's Designs said...

Oh! Me too Bernadette. I had these "great" tales I put to paper when I was a kid. I have very little of my old writings left. I saved a few pictures from when I was about 10. But most of the rest is long since gone. I'd love to see those stories again. One I used to tell people I remember. Someday I should write that down... just for myself.

Two Voices Publishing said...

I wrote a lot of sci-fi adventure back then. One of my characters was a girl with a robot sidekick. Then I got into fan fiction. The earliest thing I have is a Star Trek:Next Generation short that was published in a fanzine.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Movie formats dvd players Catonsville interior designer asbestos cancer hack jung seo cell phone pre-paid plans land rover freelander used ct Parts and accessory automotive air conditioner Gorilla suit my adventures in body building