Friday, December 29, 2006

Un-Resolutions Redux

"In 2006, my un-resolution, is to continue with the goal in mind of creating the career I’ve always wanted. In addition, I plan to continue my efforts to become more organized and to save more money and reduce that out-of-control feeling I often have when it comes to my financial status and the housework. I un-resolve to work steadily and not let my new open schedule become an excuse to goof off. I’d like to un-resolve to read more, but I doubt I’ll find the time, and I probably won’t develop any new hobbies either. I’ve got quite enough for now.My best un-resolution is to take everything as it comes and go with the flow. The calmer I am, the better I deal with problems, so if I don’t set myself up to fail by making resolutions I can’t keep, the less likely I will be to feel stressed. "

The above was from a post I made in December 2005 about New Year’s un-resolutions, and I have to say I think I did pretty well sticking to mine.

Here it is the end of 2006 and I have published eight more titles, taken on the challenging job of freelance editor, and I have a business plan for 2007 to hopefully continue my fledgling writing career on the upswing.

I have slowly made some improvements in the way the house is organized. The storage closet hasn’t been out of control in almost a year. My filing is usually up-to-date and we’ve managed to haul about twenty bags of garbage out of the basement. I made the commitment to actually start throwing those things away that I’ve been saving for a decade just because I’m afraid I might need them one day.

I’ve made a concentrated effort to save money, and I’m socking bucks away in a holiday/vacation fund which is steadily growing. I’m proud of myself. We’ve managed a year on 1.25 salaries and I think we can continue to do so.

I’ve managed to create a workable writing schedule that has helped me create a bunch of manuscripts, and I think I write a little faster now that I’ve cleared some of the clutter out of my brain.

Just as I predicted, I haven’t found the time to read more, but I guess if you count the novels that I’ve edited, and those of my crit partners, I suppose I’ve actually done quiet a lot of reading this year. I did take on a new hobby – and got addicted to crocheting, just what I needed, another excuse to spend money at the craft store. Oh well.

So, all in all I’d say I did pretty well with my un-resolutions. I think I’ll recycle them for 2007 because they seem to be working well for me. And it’s always good to recycle.

What are your resolutions/unresolutions for the New Year?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jennifer! You deserve a round of applause.

I'm working on my list of resolutions. One of which is to collect rejections (see my blog for an explanation, lol).

I'm inspired by your accomplishments!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Jennifer! It's my own personal pat on the back. It's easy to look at the things I haven't done [the laundry comes to mind a lot!] but when I really think about it, I have made some accomplishments this year. If I keep this up, eventually I may just have all my crap together one day!

Anonymous said...

Can I resolve to be more like you? :D If so, put me down for that.

Two Voices Publishing said...

LOL, Robin! Sure, but I must warn you, I look a lot better on paper. Right now I've got unfinished manuscripts, umade beds, unwashed dishes and laundry to contend with...which reminds me, I'd better get my butt in gear or nothing will get done today.

Babe King said...

Oh well done!
I resolve not to break all my new year resolutions like I have every other year. :-)

Have a Happy New Year, girls.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hi Babe! Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Getting better organized is number one on my list right now. I'll probably sit down and write more specific goals today!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Hi Lori! Happy New Year! Organization is definitely the key. My problem is trying to do everything at once. I need to learn to break things down into managable steps, but my natural impatience gets in the way. I want everything NOW. LOL.