Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Done!


I did it.


I got through the first draft of my WIP, Uncross My Heart.


I actually typed The End last week, but I had cheated and skipped the pivotal fight scene, which for some reason proved to be nearly impossible to put on paper.


Today, working around a two-hour trip to the office to help sort through ancient town records in a building that's about to be torn down...[hold on there, let me make a note of that, it sounds like a nice beginning to a story...] okay, working around that, I managed to write the 16-page scene and bring the story home at 92,000 words.


I should be overjoyed, but I still feel like I'm at base camp and there's a storm at the summit. I have this mountain of paper in front of me, and I'm still not sure it represents a coherent story.

Tonight I'm going to do some cosmetic edits and then start imposing upon my CPs to give me some much needed and brutal feedback.


How come DONE never really feels like DONE??


5 comments:

Erica Ridley said...

Hooray! Congratulations!!!

*uncorks the champagne*

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Erica! Now for marathon edits.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Good for you!

Sparky Duck said...

splendid

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Cause done ISN'T done. There's the cp edits. Then the query. Then the wait for a response. Then getting assigned an editor. Waiting for edits.......and waiting.....and waiting......and then, edits for the publisher.
But DONE is when you type "The End". Not (as in my case) when you type "The End" and realize you need 25K. LOL.