Thursday, June 22, 2006

Jennifer Crusie on Cordelia Chase


I found this fabulous essay by Jennifer Crusie about one of my all time favorite characters, Cordelia Chase. Ms. Crusie said in so many words what I believed from the moment Cordelia lifted off her winter-white slippers on the highway and ‘ascended’ to a higher plane at the behest of turncoat demon guide ‘Skip.’

Cordelia was robbed. Fans of Angel were robbed and probably Charisma Carpenter was robbed as well. What a terrible way for a kick-ass heroine like Cordelia to go down, ruined, turned evil for no good reason other than she was the guiding force in Angel’s life, and then given a bone in season 5, a sweet, sad reprisal of her role as something almost completely unique in television land – a character who EVOLVED.

Yes, Joss Whedon is my master, but I still can’t forgive him for ravaging Cordelia and stripping her of her innate Cordelia-ness in Season 4. Angel had every right to mourn her [in fact he should have mourned a little harder, IMHO], she was a completely unnecessary casualty.

If you’re a Cordelia fan, check out the essay. It tells it like it is.

Update: Now that I've posted this, it seems Jennifer Crusie's website is temporarily not available. Or maybe it's just me. Either way if you want to read the essay, keep trying, it's well worth it.

No comments: