Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Swimming Through The Mire


Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...or so sings Dory the forgetful fish in Finding Nemo.
It's good advice. Sometimes in life the only thing you can do is just keep plugging away. Take one more step, write one more paragraph, no matter how hard it is.
One of the downsides of creativity, at least with me, is that real life can interfere with the creative process so easily. When creating is a hobby, that's okay. You can put your project aside and go back to it when you can think straight, but when creating is your job, your vocation, you have to keep swimming, even when you don't feel like it.
Yesterday I completed first round edits on Rogue Theta, my upcoming Ellora's Cave release and I did some contest work. Now I'm clear to get back to my WIP and start editing a finished novella that needs to be submitted - also hopefully to EC. It wasn't easy - not because the edits were hard, but because my mind just can't focus right now. I don't have the luxury of falling apart...not that it's really a luxury. In fact, it's more of a luxury to have a lot to do. Keeping busy, even when you don't want to be is sometimes the best thing.
And if you stop swimming, you will drown. Ask any shark you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand and I commend you for keeping your head above water!

Two Voices Publishing said...

Thanks, Jen! I just wish I had a pair of water wings sometimes. ;)